Affiliate and Related Agency Links
The following links are provided for information purposes.
- Council on Disability, Minnesota State
The agency is concerned with opportunities for all children and adults with a disability
throughout Minnesota, and advocates for programs.
- Disability Minnesota
Website offers easy
starting point for state
government disability resources. Click on the link for quick and easy access
to state government-agency programs, products and services dedicated to
- Employment and Economic Development, Department of
Pathways to Employment webpage
has been added to the MN Department of Employment and Economic Development website.
- Health, Minnesota Department of
provides a wealth of information on topics such as health records, health care,
drinking water, immunizations, and other areas.
of Health Facility Complaints
This organization certifies,
licenses and inspects a broad range of health care facilities and
providers—including hospitals, nursing homes, home care providers,
- Human Rights, Minnesota
- Human Services Home Page, Minnesota Department of
- Minnesota Governor's Council on
Developmental Disabilities provides
information, education, and training to build knowledge, develop skills, and
change attitudes that will lead to increased independence, productivity,
self determination, integration and inclusion (IPSII) for people with
developmental disabilities and their families.
- The Minnesota Governor's Council on Developmental Disabilities is excited to announce, in line with its commitment to excellence in Disability Policy, a web presentation about Ed Roberts, the Father of Independent Living. http://www.mnddc.org/ed-roberts/index.html
NorthStar - Minnesota
Collection of links to many State agencies.
This is the best place to go for a particular agency, board, or commission.
The STAR program’s mission is to help all Minnesotans with disabilities and older adults gain access to and acquire the assistive technology they need to live, learn, work, and play. STAR is federally funded by the Rehabilitation Services Administration in accordance with the Assistive Technology Act of 1998, as amended (P.L. 108-364).
- Veteran's One Stop Website,
Minnesota - This website provides Minnesota Veterans, their families
and employers a one stop location for information or links available for
- Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki has announced that combat Veterans will receive readjustment counseling and other assistance in 28 additional communities across the country where the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) will establish new Vet Centers in 2010. Find a Vet Center near you.
Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities
ACT - Advocating Change Together
Advocating Change Together (ACT) is a grassroots disability rights organization run by and for people with developmental and other disabilities.
Advocacy and support for people with mental disabilities and their families
ARRM leads the advancement of community-based services that support people
with disabilities in their pursuit of meaningful lives. Founded in 1970 by a group of
private providers, ARRM is an association of 150 providers supporting thousands of
people with disabilities. Our members provide services through the DD, TBI, CADI and
CAC waivers, and ICFs/MR and SILS.
- Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation
An interactive and informative web site for people with a psychiatric condition that addresses issues and reasonable accommodations related
to work and school. This is the only site designed exclusively to provide
information about the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other
employment and education issues for people with psychiatric disabilities.
- Consumer Survivor Network of
Minnesota (CSN) - Leading Minnesota in Mental Health Recovery and
- Internet Mental Health
Information on various mental health issues.
- Mental Health Association of
The Mental Health Association of Minnesota helps
individuals find access to services, or problem-solve a situation, on a
- Mental Help -
This site is in Portuguese, English and German.
- Mental Help Net
is an established and highly regarded internet website dedicated to educating
the public about mental health, wellness, and family and relationship issues and concerns.
- Mental Illness - Information for Families
The information is
intended to inform you about mental illness and also to provide you and your
family with coping skills which will be helpful to you.
- Minnesota Association for Children's Mental
Minnesota Disability Law Center
The website contains an overview of the Minnesota Disability Law Center,
Fact Sheets, legal information provided by the Minnesota Legal Services
Coalition and its member organizations.
- Minnesota Rehabilitation Association
- PACER Center - The mission of PACER
Center is to expand opportunities and enhance the quality of life of children
and young adults with disabilities and their families, based on the concept of
parents helping parents.
A newly launched web site includes a fact sheet for
families titled "The Use of Medication in Treating Childhood and Adolescent Depression:
Information for Patients and Families." Also included is a guide for physicians on treating
depression in children and adolescents, including information on treatment alternatives
and the latest science and research findings.
Families with Mental Illness - Support Groups.
- United Nations Enable Rights and Dignity of Persons with Disabilities - The Convention marks a "paradigm shift" in attitudes and approaches to persons with disabilities. It takes to a new height the movement from viewing persons with disabilities as "objects" of charity, medical treatment and social protection towards viewing persons with disabilities as "subjects" with rights, who are capable of claiming those rights and making decisions for their lives based on their free and informed consent as well as being active members of society.
Crime Victims with Disabilities
Reports and Documents
- National Academies Press Makes All Their PDF Books Free to Download. Follow this link to view the books available.
- American Indian Health
website is an information
portal (links to many other Native websites) to issues affecting the health
and well-being of American Indians.
ARC of the United States
- Bazelon Center for Mental Health
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Center for Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight - Affordable Care Act Implementation FAQs - Set 7
- DisabilityGov - Provides easy access to comprehensive
disability-related information and resources.
- Practical ideas for parents of children
with disabilities to improve their
interaction with school staff and become
more effective advocates for their
child. This link opens a PDF document.
Geriatrics Society Updates Fall Prevention Guidelines.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
Emergency Evacuation Planning Guide for People with Disabilities was
developed with input from the disability community to provide general
- Idea - Building the Legacy - The
site provides searchable versions of the statute and regulations, as well
as, access to cross-referenced content from other laws, such as the No Child
Left Behind Act and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. The site
also includes topic briefs on selected topics (topics are being developed);
links to OSEP's Technical Assistance and Dissemination (TA and D) Network;
and a variety of other information sources. The site also has a "Q-and-A
Corner" for questions to be submitted.
- Medicare Rights Center (MRC)
is the largest independent source of health care information and
assistance in the United States for people with Medicare.
free educational newsletters help people with Medicare, their
families and their caregivers understand their health care benefits and
options. MRC's advocacy newsletter keeps you on top of the news and
issues that affect people with Medicare.
- National Association of the Mentally Ill
National Association of Parents with
Children in Special Education (NAPCSE)
is a national association that is dedicated to
ensuring that all children and adolescents with special needs receive the
best education possible.
- National Association of State Mental Health Directors (NASMHPD)
- National Center for PTSD
site features information about typical responses to trauma,
symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder and other disaster-related
- National Institute of Mental
- National Mental Health Consumers' Self-Help Clearinghouse
Emergency Evacuation Planning Guide for People with Disabilities.
This guide is intended to be used to develop and maintain evacuation plans
for people with mobility, vision, hearing, cognition, and speech
National Resource Center on Psychiatric Advance Directives (NRC-PAD)
offers mental health consumers, family members, clinicians and
policymakers timely information about PADs.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health
Services Administration (SAMHSA) - Partners for Recovery
- United States Ombudsman Association
The United States
Ombudsman Association serves governmental ombudsman offices across the
United States and member offices in Canada and other parts of the world.
- The U.S. Surgeon General released
The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Improve the Health and Wellness of
Persons with Disabilities that describes the challenges to health and well
being faced by persons with disabilities. The report identifies four goals
that can help people with disabilities experience full and healthy lives.